I. Construction of Tunnel and Headwork
The Melamchi Water Diversion Scheme (present contract package) includes construction of headworks and water diversion tunnel of approximately 26.3 km from Riberma Intake (Sindhupalchowk) to Sundarijal outlet – Kathmandu.
The contract for construction of headworks and tunnel was awarded on 19 February 2009 with intended completion date of 2 September 2013. Actual physical works started in April 2010. The earlier contractor could not achieve the satisfactory result in implementation of the contract package and the Employer terminated the contract on 25 September 2012 for unsatisfactory performance of the contractor.
The tunnel has been designed for 6 m3/s capacity to bring 510 million liter per day (MLD) water from Melamchi Valley to Kathmandu Valley and present project is designed for transferring 170 MLD water from Melamchi River. Additional 340 MLD water will be transferred through the tunnel with implementation of separate project later.
The tunnel construction work sites are located at three adit sites and connected by the outlet portal at Sundarijal in Kathmandu and Adits at Sindhu, Gyalthum and Ambathan in Sindhupalchowk. The longest stretch of the tunnel construction section is of the length of 6.1 kilometer from Sundarijal portal site.
The Employer now intends to re-bid the package for completion of the project and expects to complete it within 36 months of awarding the contract. The remaining works to be completed under the package are (i) approximately 21 kilometer tunnel construction works (ii) headworks at Melamchi; (iii) supporting administrative and logistics works of residences/offices for the Engineer, the Contractor, storage depot, access roads restoration, and maintenance, etc.
If if you are interested to know about detailed description of works or any extra information regarding the forthcoming tunnel tender please contact us at:
Melamchi Water Supply Development Board (MWSDB)
MWSDB Office Building (Trolley Bus Building)
Madan Bhandari Path, Minbhawan
Phone: 977 1 44 68 963/44 68 964/44 68 965
Fax No.: 977 1 44 68 962
Email :- email@example.com
ii. Construction Maintenance and Management of Access Roads
Adit Access Road (AAR) – AAR refers the roads to reach to different Adit points of the project sites which include – Sindhu Adit (Bahunepati – Sindhu Adit ,15.4 km), Gyalthum Adit (xxxxx to Gyalthum Adit, 4.2 km) and Ambathan Adit (Timbu – Main Intake at Ambathan Adit, xx km).
- MDS – AAR 01- Hanil Conico (Tender cancelled due to managerial problem)
- MDS – AAR 02- CCECC-Sharma -Lama JV – Sindhu Gyaldhum Adit Marga
- MDS – AAR/03- Surya-Jaya OM-DS Construction JV – Sundarijal Adit Access Road
- The treated water transmission main from the treatment plant to the connection with the bulk distribution system (BDS); all ancillary works including roads and site works; and
- Testing, commissioning and training of MWSDB (or other designated) personnel for the works under the Contract.
Main Access Road (MAR)– MAR refers the road from Melamchi Pul Bazar to Timbu which length18 km long including 10 bridges.
This portion of the road has several local and international contractors in joint ventures. This road consists of 10 bridges and is the most complex part of the access road construction.
- MDS – MAR-21/22 – Mahalaxmi & JV / Lok Bir-Dapche & JVess Road
Upgrading Access Road (UAR)- Upgrading of Jorpati-Sundarijal road (6.0 km), Jorpati Gokarna-Narayantar and Lamidanda – Melamchi Pul Bazar – Timbu (feeder road), 22.2 km.
In addition to the above roads, this package also includes:
Maintenance of Lamidanda-Timbu feeder road the Headworks access road and the four Adit Access Roads-Sundarijal, Sindhu, Gyalthum and Ambathan;
Construction of approximately 235 m length of road as an extension of the Sundarijal AAR up to Sundarijal Portal; and Construction of approximately 45 m length of road to access the Sindhu Adit portal.
- MDS – UAR/02 – Marushin Shitaka Tundi Jv – Lamidanda – Melamchi Pul Bazar Upgrade
- MDS/UAR/07 – Poppu-Jyoti Jv- 2Km upgrading of Jorpati – Rarayantar – Kokarna Temple Road
iii. Construction, Operation and Management of Camp site Offices
This refers the construction, operation and management of Camp site office at Malamchi Pool Bazar (main Camp) and Other Camps at Ambathan Adit, Gyalthum Adit, Sindhu Adit and Sundarijal Adit.
Not only at the Adit camps, the contractor should takeover and operate all existing services of Main Camp Site office located at Melamchi Pool Bazar. The construction of camp side residential building (Camp Site – II Phase) is contracted with:
- Gauri Parbati-Danfe-Siruwa-Sanaula JV
- China CMIIC Engineering Corporation – The accommodations for Empplyer, DSCs and themselves in all adit pointes – Sundarijal, Sindhu, Gyalthum and Ambathan. Also it is the responsibility of MDS contractor to operate and manage existing camp site office providing all sorts of service utilities.